[Nix-dev] Deterministic(bit-perfect) Builds

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 10:57:06 CEST 2013

On 06/25/2013 10:45 AM, phreedom at yandex.ru wrote:
> This is what I have achieved so far:

Sounds nice.

Wouldn't it be more certain/universal to LD_PRELOAD or something to
achieve that the system time always looks the same to any build-time
tool? (e.g. UNIX time =0)

> Unstripped binaries: may be contaminated by "build-id". Can be avoided either
> by passing ld --build-id=none param or careful stripping. Needs testing.
> Luckily this is a very small subset of packages.

I looked at "man ld" and I think we rather want --build-id=sha1 as it's
explicitly stated that the ID is uniquely determined by the output.

Vlada