[Nix-dev] strange nix error

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Apr 6 04:25:51 CEST 2014

Ben Franksen wrote:
> James Cook wrote:
>> On 5 April 2014 16:47, Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> wrote:
>>> I have installed nix under ubuntu, using the ubuntu deb package. Then I
>>> followed the instructions in the nix manual for multi-user installs,
>>> i.e. created build users & groups and added a nix.conf:
>>> [...]
>>> Then I do nix-env -i <somepackage> and get
>>>
>>> error: setting synchronous mode: unable to open database file
>>
>> I had a similar problem, and fixed it by setting the environment
>> variable NIX_REMOTE to "daemon" as suggested in the user's guide.
>
> That was it. Thanks!
>
> I had set the variable but only in my .zshenv and forgot to restart the
> shell. Stupid me.

I have successfully created a new package and the build runs through just
fine, yay!

Unfortunately the installation into the user environment fails:

building path(s) `/nix/store/8jw7qly1mq2nzdjlnnhiqwgsbhwc3ns9-user-
environment'
created 8 symlinks in user environment
error: opening lock file `/nix/var/nix/profiles/default.lock': Permission
denied
ben at sarun[1]: ~ > ll -d /nix/var/nix/profiles
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Apr  5 21:53 /nix/var/nix/profiles

Does /nix/var/nix/profiles have to be writeable by the nixbld<n> users or
the nixbld group? I searched the nix manual but found no hint.

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams