[Nix-dev] systemPackages vs. services.dbus.packages

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Tue Apr 8 21:29:33 CEST 2014

Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> writes:

> On 04/07/2014 11:36 AM, Kirill Elagin wrote:
>> So, the question is: what is the purpose of having
>> services.dbus.packages if those configs are considered anyway due to
>> packages being in systemPackages?
>
> AFAIK there are cases where packages are not put into systemPackages,
> only to services.dbus.packages. (But that can't prevent the users or
> other options from independently adding the very same package to
> systemPackages.)

I use that as much as possible.
There's really no need for a lot of packages to be in systemPackages or
in some user profile if they only provide a service and don't have lots
of often-used CLI tools. Same goes for udevPackages.

However, wouldn't it be possible to uniq/nub these lists on evaluation?
It's perfectly functional/declarative, but I don't know if derivations
are comparable (for equality).