[Nix-dev] Unfree packages in Nixpkgs

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Apr 9 22:13:19 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 09/04/14 21:34, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

>> tl;dr version: The default value of the ‘allowUnfree’ Nixpkgs configuration flag
>> has changed from ‘true’ to ‘false’. This means that if your NixOS system
>> configuration requires unfree packages, you need to add
>
> I’m looking forward to the day where Nixpkgs stops distributing non-free
> packages.

I'd say we're not actually distributing non-free packages, just build
instructions for those packages, and now users don't even "see" them by default
anymore.

Automatically creating a nixpkgs-free repository by deleting all Nix expressions
for non-free packages is left as an exercise for the reader, but not all that
useful because it's functionally the same as having allowUnfree disabled.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/