[Nix-dev] meta.license

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Tue Apr 15 14:56:03 CEST 2014

(Resent. My bad.)

Hi there Ramakrishnan,

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 18:17:33 +0530
Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <ram at rkrishnan.org> wrote:

> Is there some to specify a custom license? Reason why I ask is this: I
> had been looking at plan9port, which I use on all my machines, off late.
> I have some fixes in a pull request at the moment. plan9port nix
> expression file specifies meta.license="free". In reality it is a bit
> complicated [1]. Part of it is BSD-like and some of the fonts have a
> slightly different license notice [2].

Licenses are just attribute sets in Nix.  If a license is common enough
you can put it into <nixpkgs/lib/licenses.nix>, but if it is
sufficiently package-specific there is nothing wrong with writing it
inline.  You only need to invent a name for it and maybe put it
somewhere online.

Greets,
Ertugrul

--