[Nix-dev] Infinite recursion with npm2nix

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.com
Wed Apr 16 15:40:46 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:

> Hi Colin,
>
> I've added pure-0.5.0-rc-1 to nixpkgs, can you try using that as a
> dependency?

Hi Shea,

Thanks for looking into this. Unfortunately, I don't think this approach is
the right  way to go.

Pure is a CSS framework; it provides CSS files, not Javascript. It's source
tree doesn't contain production-ready CSS; that has to be built from
snippets of CSS in the source tree. The build is implemented using Grunt
and a bunch of npm packages for processing CSS. My attempt at packaging
Pure was more-or-less like a classical C-based package: download the
source, compile, then install the resulting CSS into the store. The version
currently in nixpkgs just installs the source code; to get useful CSS it
needs to be built.

I notice that nixpkgs doesn't currently include any npm packages with peer
dependencies. Is this because of the infinite recursion? I couldn't tell if
it's a problem inherent to the current implementation of npm2nix, or just
an artifact of the way I'm using it.

Colin