[Nix-dev] A few questions from a NixOS newbie.

Mateusz Kowalczyk fuuzetsu at fuuzetsu.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 14:44:47 CEST 2014

On 04/21/2014 02:35 PM, Aristid Breitkreuz wrote:
> If you want to do a lot of changes or always want to use the newest
> versions of things without waiting for them to appear in the channel
> (which may take a few days), you probably want to use a checkout
> instead of the channel. This can be achieved with an environment
> variable:
>
> $ echo $NIX_PATH
> nixos=/home/aristid/nixpkgs/nixos:nixpkgs=/home/aristid/nixpkgs:nixos-config=/etc/nixos/configuration.nix
>
> (This will not automatically affect nix-env, though it will affect
> nixos-rebuild.)

How can I get it to affect nix-env too? What is the way to set this
globally, for all users? Namely, for my use-case, I'd like both root and
my own user to use this checkout.

> If you want to get any changes into the official repo, just use a
> GitHub pull request on this repo: https://github.com/nixos/nixpkgs

Great. Is the package I push in then my responsibility in the future to
update?

> Also, do not use i686-linux, there's no good reason to do so and it
> gets far less attention from most developers.

It made getting the 32-bit proprietary blob much easier to try and get
working (which I have still not managed anyway). I'd welcome
instructions to run 32-bit software on 64-bit NixOS so that I could move
back to 64-bit. At the moment, 32-bit makes more sense to me.

> And installing
> glibc-2.17 with nix-env will NOT cause any other packages to actually
> use it, you have to change the package's dependency with { glibc =
> pkgs.glibc_2_17 } or so.

Ah, OK, great!

> Please excuse that I only answered some of
> your questions.

No problem, I do not expect anyone to know or post the answer to all of
them.

--
Mateusz K.