[Nix-dev] About using clang+llvm as default 'stdenv' compiler

Anderson Torres torres.anderson.85 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 01:17:11 CEST 2014

Hello, Nixers!

I was thinking about a thing here.

1 - How can I set a new C compiler for stdenv? I want to use llvm+clang as
default compiler toolchain when running nix-build, etc. (Yes, I like some
masochistic testing...)

2 - Using a different compiler certainly affect the object code produced -
and in NIX it is propagated through the /nix/store tree as a different
hash. But, technically, both compilers would produce 'equivalent' object
codes.

The default toolchain is gcc, but my local chain is clang+llvm. So, can I
use at the same time a, say, Firefox compiled by Hydra and updated on the
unstable channels, and a local, 'clang7ed' version of Firefox?