[Nix-dev] Libreoffice fails to build

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sat Apr 26 23:54:29 CEST 2014

Raahul Kumar <raahul.kumar at gmail.com> writes:

> Curl -04 works.
> My ISP is Dodo, what should I tell them is broken with their ipv6
> setup?

It's not necessarily your ISP. It can be a misbehaving home-router as
well.

Your computer obviously thinks it has ipv6 connectivity beyond
link-local (your ethernet/wireless subnet), while in reality it doesn't.

If you are not aware of ever trying to configure anything related to
ipv6 (static address, tunneling account), you probably have a home
router that is advertising IPv6 routing capabilities without having a
proper uplink itself or everything gets firewalled. It's also possible
your ISP is supplying you with a global IPv6 address/subnet without
routing traffic for it, but that's not very common yet (at least in
EU/US).

An easy workaround might be to just disable IPv6 (nixos has an option
for it networking.enableIPv6 which is on by default) until it's properly
supported by your ISP and home router, but you might want to
investigate, because this will get back to you.

You might be wondering why wget does work while curl doesn't.
Both perform a DNS lookup (for dev-www.libreoffce.org), but in case they
get multiple answers (both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses), curl only tries the
first one, while wget tries them all until one succeeds. While the wget
behaviour seems nice in general, it's actually covering up broken setups
while imposing a slowdown for each and every connection to an IPv6
enabled host (because of the retry). I think if things are broken, they
should be fixed, instead of worked around :)