[Nix-dev] RFC: NixOS version string format

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 19:23:53 CEST 2014

On 27 April 2014 16:54, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2014 12:00 PM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
>>
>> For a long time I've felt that the NixOS version string format
>>
>> VERSION "pre" NUM_COMMITS_SINCE_THE_VERY_BEGINNING
>
> Perhaps I don't understand what you mean. nixos-version for me prints
> "14.04pre-" + git-hash

Yes, sorry, I didn't mention the hash for some reason. I guess I
thought it was a good idea to leave it out of the discussion because
it's not something I want to change. Like Marc Weber says above, when
using git/distributed system, the hash is the only true identifier. I
agree with that.

To clear things up:
* nixos-version currently adds the git-hash at the very end and I
don't want to change that
* git describe also adds a hash at the end to provide unique
identifier (iff the commit isn't exactly on a tag)

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman