[Nix-dev] builder is root, not nixbld<n> [was: cannot build coreutils]

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Apr 27 21:37:35 CEST 2014

Ben Franksen wrote:
> tl;dr I can verify with a very simple nix expression that the builder
> indeed is root, and not one of the nixbld users. I think this is not as it
> should be.

I finally solved this after looking into the source tree. It turned out that
after I re-compiled and installed Nix from source, the configuration
directory (sysconfdir) is /usr/local/etc (a somewhat unconventional choice,
if you ask me). It was /etc when I had installed Nix from the ubuntu
package, but I recently upgraded my system to ubuntu trusty and there is no
binary package for trusty yet, so I re-installed from source. Thus my
existing entry for build-users-group in /etc/nix.conf was ignored.

BTW, I see that there are rpm specs in the sources. How can I create package
for my system from the sources?

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams