[Nix-dev] Slim failed to execute login command

_1126 lists at elfsechsundzwanzig.de
Wed Apr 30 09:55:18 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 07:07:02PM +0200, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 29/04/14 17:51, _1126 wrote:
>
> > I suspect that the following changes to my configuration are
> > responsible for that:
> >
> > + programs.bash.enable = false;
> > + programs.zsh.enable = true;
> > - users.extraUsers._1126.shell = pkgs.zsh + "/bin/zsh";
> > + users.extraUsers._1126.useDefaultShell = true;
> >
> > Could this be possible?
>
> Right, with bash disabled, /etc/profile doesn't get generated.

I set

  programs.bash.enable = false

because I've read in the docs that

  programs.zsh.enable = true

would try to set

  users.defaultUserShell

automatically. Enabling zsh without setting defaultUserShell
explicitly however lead to conflicts due to bash.enable and zsh.enable
both trying to set this value. That is why I disabled bash.

> I've just committed a change that removes the program.bash.enable option, since
> having it really doesn't make sense - NixOS really depends on bash. If you want
> zsh as the default shell, you should now say:
>
>   users.defaultUserShell = "/run/current-system/sw/bin/zsh";

It works, thank you!

_1126