[Nix-dev] Again: Why don't these people have commit access

Matthias Beyer mail at beyermatthias.de
Mon Jan 19 22:23:50 CET 2015

On 20-01-2015 00:10:29, Michael Raskin wrote:
> >    * One (or two, or three,... but ideally just one) maintainers have
> >      the responsibility that the new-packages branch actually _builds_
> >      and should never commit broken packages onto it. If they fail with
> >      this, they are bad. Period.
>
> You ask for a strong committment for keeping an eye on a huge stream of
> changes. How many maintainers a year do you plan to expend this way?

Well, that's my point of having not only one person doing it. Anyways,
it would be best if only one person would maintain the
new-packages-branch, as this simplifies a lot of stuff. Anyways, I
don't say that only one person should review the patches, of course!
And of course it is committment, but so is everything in developing a
distro or software, I guess!

On the huge stream of changes part: Is it actually that much already?
How many packages are there per week, for example? I don't think it is
_that_ much, ...

For example, there are currently 25 PRs on github with the tag
"new-package", only 10 of them from the last 10 days! It is really not
that much!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Kind regards,