[Nix-dev] The Church of Suckless NixOS is looking for followers

Tuomas Tynkkynen tuomas.tynkkynen at iki.fi
Sun Mar 19 04:14:14 CET 2017

> Mayeu <m at mayeu.me> writes:
>
>> I would love to see that in upstream, independence from systemd will open the door to have some kind of NixBSD and other fun stuff like that. (No longer than 3 days ago there was a discussion for GSOC to have a project to make NixOS + freebsd).
>
> Note that NixOS FreeBSD/NetBSD is just SLNOS with a different kernel,
> because we are gonna to be free from glibc and GNU tools.

How is moving away from glibc going to help with (say) FreeBSD
support? Based on (admittedly quite short) googling, I couldn't
find any libc that supports both Linux and FreeBSD except...
*drumroll*... glibc that is being used by Debian/kFreeBSD!
And if you're going to be using different libcs on different
kernels, well... nixpkgs already does that today, by supporting
Darwin.