[Nix-dev] NixU crawls

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Mon Jan 10 20:42:43 CET 2005

hi,

I've been playing around with moving NixU to a Linux kernel 2.6.10 host, to
take a bit of the pressure away from "itchy". Everything boots, but when
I build a new disk image, when it starts registering new paths it grinds
to a halt when it comes to glibc. Files are added. I stopped it a few times
halfway, mounted the disk image over loopback and saw that quite a few files
(but not yet all) were there.

I'm really wondering what makes it so slow. Other packages (such as
binutils, 15 MB) are installed a lot faster. Is there something in Nix
that makes dumping and registering large packages expensive, because it
is read into memory first? Is it something in UML that I set up wrongly
(something with host fs or so)? Is it memory shortage?
Does anyone have experience with this?

I will try this week to boot an image that was built on itchy...

armijn