[Nix-dev] improving portability in nixpkgs

Armijn Hemel armijn at uulug.nl
Fri Jan 28 00:53:00 CET 2005

hi,

recently I installed Linux on an UltraSPARC based machine in our lab
and installed Nix on it. I want to build packages on it, but if I set
it to the default pkgs (as in, copy it verbatim from i686-linux in
all-packages.nix) it keeps barfing on assertions (ghc, mesa, quake3demo,
ut2004demo). Of course, it's completely understandable why they barf,
but I'm not sure that these packages belong in LinuxPkgs, but more in
a platform dependent package collection, so in case we add more Linux
environments (I still got a spare PowerPC machine in the lab) it will
be easier (and more fun).

What do you think and what would be the cleanest way to solve this?
Would it be an idea to have a basic set and join that with a platform
specific set, of course, depending on the plaform?

armijn