[Nix-dev] Nixpkgs 0.9 released

Eelco Dolstra eelco at cs.uu.nl
Tue Jan 31 19:03:32 CET 2006

Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of a new stable release of the
Nix Packages collection.  Release 0.9 can be found at

  http://nix.cs.uu.nl/dist/nix/nixpkgs-0.9/

There have been zillions of changes since the last release of
Nixpkgs. Many packages have been added or updated. The following are
some of the more notable changes:

  * Distribution files have been moved to http://nix.cs.uu.nl/.

  * The C library on Linux, Glibc, has been updated to version 2.3.6.

  * The default compiler is now GCC 3.4.5. GCC 4.0.2 is also
    available.

  * The old, unofficial Xlibs has been replaced by the official
    modularised X11 distribution from X.org, i.e., X11R7.0. X11R7.0
    consists of 287 (!)  packages, all of which are in Nixpkgs though
    not all have been tested. It is now possible to build a working X
    server (previously we only had X client libraries). We use a fully
    Nixified X server on NixOS.

  * The Sun JDK 5 has been purified, i.e., it doesn't require any
    non-Nix components such as `/lib/ld-linux.so.2'. This means that
    Java applications such as Eclipse and Azureus can run on NixOS.

  * Hardware-accelerated OpenGL support, used by games like Quake 3
    (which is now built from source).

  * Improved support for FreeBSD on x86.

  * Improved Haskell support; e.g., the GHC build is now pure.

  * Some support for cross-compilation: cross-compiling builds of GCC
    and Binutils, and cross-compiled builds of the C library uClibc.

  * Notable new packages:

      o teTeX, including support for building LaTeX documents using
        Nix (with automatic dependency determination).

      o Ruby.

      o System-level packages to support NixOS, e.g. Grub, GNU
        `parted' and so on.

      o `ecj', the Eclipse Compiler for Java, so we finally have a
        freely distributable compiler that supports Java 5.0.

      o `php'.

      o The GIMP.

      o Inkscape.

      o GAIM.

      o `kdelibs'. This allows us to add KDE-based packages (such as
        `kcachegrind').

The following people contributed to this release: Andres Löh, Armijn
Hemel, Bogdan Dumitriu, Christof Douma, Eelco Dolstra, Eelco Visser,
Mart Kolthof, Martin Bravenboer, Rob Vermaas and Roy van den Broek.

--
Eelco Dolstra | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~eelco