[Nix-dev] Re: Multiple packages from one source package

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Nov 10 12:31:03 CET 2007

> Actually, before thinking about automation, my question was more about
> how you'd do it (by hand, first) using Nix.  Surely, you wouldn't want
> to compile Avahi 20 times, for instance, once for each of those
> packages.  So you need to be able to craft Nix expressions that reuse
> the build.
>
> (This can probably be done but I'm not yet in a position where I can
> think of a solution.)
How does debian folks do it?

Run
./configure
make
make install ?

Then put all new files of
  /usr/include
into package
libNAme-dev

and all new files of
  /usr/lib
into package
libNAme ?

I've typed this without much thinking.

So in this case you would create an expression the way it's now
  package_lib_and_includes

Then you would additionally create
  package_lib (only copy lib to new destination and hope there are no
              references left to the old destination)
  package_dev_includes
            (only copy includes to new destination and hope there are no
              references left to the old destination)

But that would be a lot of work (?)
I like working on packaging haskell libs/compilers more than doing the above :)

Marc Weber