[Nix-dev] installation fails to install grub to separate /boot

Adam Vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 09:02:00 CET 2008

Hey, I've tried a couple of times to install nixos; it looks good, but the
documentation is pretty lacking and out of date, so I'm having trouble.

I need to use a separate /boot, due to my bios. So I set up a configuration
file like the one attached. With any combination of bootMount = "(hd0,1)"
or "/boot" or "/dev/sda2", fails to keep /mnt/boot mounted when the
nixos-install script gets around to finalizing the installation (it calls a
'nexos-rebuild boot', which then calls grub-install.

Anyways, the variables in the scripts are mildly opaque, so I can't tell
exactly why the grub-install fails saying either /boot is not a block
device, or it installs the stuff to the root partition (which won't boot).
Hopefully you can help?

I've looked at the example configs in svn and on the cd, and I cannot see
one using a separate boot partition that looked much (if at all) different.

I'm using the iso nixos-0.1pre10083, i686.