[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: trace - 10646 - ludo - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/applications/graphics/ImageMagick

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Tue Feb 12 19:52:22 CET 2008

Salut !  ;-)

"Nicolas Pierron"
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> The problem is that some mirror are removing old release.
> The following link is a mirror indicated by the download page that
> seems to keep old release:
> ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/ImageMagick (even the 6.3.7-9)

Right, but I would have expected imagemagick.org (which is what the Nix
expression uses) to keep versions longer than "secondary" mirrors...

Anyway, if one of the mirrors appears to be more reliable, then we can
certainly switch.

> By the way:
>
>>From http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php:
>> The latest release of ImageMagick is ImageMagick 6.3.8-6.

Yep, but I thought sticking to 6.3.7 would minimize the risk of
breakage.  ;-)

> When looking at this web page that makes me think:
> - a script to fetch the list of mirrors.
> - make the fetch depending on the location of the laptop/computer
> (ping / download rate / locales).

This could perhaps be added to the `mirror://' mechanism (see
`nixpkgs/pkgs/build-support/fetchurl/mirrors.nix'), although I have no
idea how the latter could be implemented.

Thanks,
Ludovic.