[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: trace - 10766 - ludo - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs: applications/version-management/git top-level

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 12:50:06 CET 2008

On Feb 20, 2008 11:29 AM, Ludovic Courts <ludo at gnu.org> wrote:
> Author: ludo
> Date: 2008-02-20 10:29:32 +0000 (Wed, 20 Feb 2008)
> New Revision: 10766
>
> You can view the changes in this commit at:
>    https://svn.cs.uu.nl:12443/viewvc/trace?rev=10766&view=rev
>
> Modified:
>    nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/applications/version-management/git/default.nix
>    nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/top-level/all-packages.nix
> Log:
> Git 1.5.4.2 + Emacs mode.

I don't think that all user want to have emacs each time they only
want to install git.

I have a few similar patches (on my laptop) about git.
For example I have add an option that add Tk as a dependency without
recompiling git because git only need it as a run-time dependency.
I haven't patched it yet because I don't know if there is a good way
to create that kind of dependencies.

The idea is the following:

args: with args

let git =
  stdenv.mkDerivation {
    ... normal code ...
  };
in
  if Option then
    stdenv.mkDerivation {
       name = git.name;
       buildInputs = [ makeWrapper ];
       buildCommand = ''
         # use makewrapper to wrapper git binaries
         # sym-link other directories
       ''
    }
  else
     git

At the moment the as a bit change but the idea is here.

--
Nicolas Pierron