[Nix-dev] Re: [submission] adns-1.4

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Jun 15 02:36:13 CEST 2008

Nicolas Pierron writes:

 > Usually we add a "meta" attribute that contains information about the
 > packages: [...]

I was wondering about this, it feels like a good idea to have a license
and a homepage URL handy for all those packages. I added a meta section
to the nix file; thank you for the suggestion.

Ludovic Courtès writes:

 >> url = ftp://ftp.chiark.greenend.org.uk/users/ian/adns/adns-1.4.tar.gz;
 >
 > Since this is a GNU package, you can use the `mirror' scheme: Nixpkgs
 > knows a list of GNU mirrors, so it can try any of them when you do
 > it.

That is good to know; it's a good thing to use mirrors whenever
possible. I wonder how to configure which GNU mirror is the one closest
to me?

Anyway, for ADNS that's not an option, unfortunately, because for some
reason Ian Jackson never updated the gnu.org pages. New releases have
appeared only on his homepage for some time now. Consequently, the GNU
mirrors don't have version 1.4.

 >> md5 = "88bc7bbf3f62a8d4fb186b8f72ead853";
 >
 > I think it's usually better to use the sha256 hash now, preferably
 > base32-encoded.  The `nix-prefetch-url' tool helps you do this.

You are right. Thank you for the suggestion.

The new version is attached below. I'd be quite happy to see it in the
distribution. I'll send an e-mail to Eelco Dolstra about getting commit
rights to SVN too, but for the time being I don't feel comfortable
checking code into the repository that might break things in some way.
Nix is very new to me and I'm inexperienced. If someone else feels like
adding it to the unstable tree, please do.

My entry in all-packages.nix looks like this:

  adns = import ../.nixpkgs/adns.nix
  {
    inherit stdenv fetchurl;
  };