[Nix-dev] Re: Git expression

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Tue Jun 17 16:29:53 CEST 2008

Marc Weber wrote:
> Ways how this could be achieved:
> a) rebuild 3 times removing not needed parts (expensive)
> b) build once, copy only the files you need to a new derviation store
>   path (then the not needed parts will be garbage collected)
>
> Both can lead to trouble and more time to be spend on maintainance of
> the packages..

thinking about (b)... Debian splits packages after they've been built,
so we know that it can be done (they'll make sure of it).  The
difference perhaps is that we'd put the different parts in different
prefixes.  So we really should, for example, pass a different --docdir
to ./configure than --prefix, which "should" make things work (probably
with some build-systems and even some configure-based, there will be
things that don't quite work right, so maintenance-work can at least
help upstream fix those... at least, that philosophy towards upstream is
GoboLinux's...)

-Isaac