[Nix-dev] Re: Suggestion: Home configuration.

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Jun 23 14:07:07 CEST 2008

Hi,

"Nicolas Pierron"
<nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com> writes:

> I have experimented many issues that may require a kind of $HOME
> configuration.  Many package provide a /etc which contains a default
> resource script which is often used as a base for the system.  As Nix
> packages are pure, the system configuration is not changed unless this
> packages are installed with the system (I guess).  Therefore if any
> user install a tool which require a minimal configuration the tool
> will not work properly.

Most packages typically first honor the system-wide /etc file, then look
for a $HOME/somethingrc file, and finally look for environment
variables.  Therefore, in many cases, that the system-wide /etc file is
immutable doesn't cause any problem.  What application or scenario did
you have in mind?

> With this feature, I think we can expect to move upstart &
> configuration script inside nixpkgs instead of nixos.

Hmm, I don't understand the connection.

Thanks,
Ludovic.