[Nix-dev] Re: Problem Installing NixOS...

Bárður Árantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Jun 25 08:09:32 CEST 2008

Bárður Árantsson wrote:
> Armijn Hemel wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 23:30 +0200, Bárður Árantsson wrote:
>>> Does this mean that I screwed something up during the install?
>>> The only non-required thing I did during installation was to call
>>> nixos-checkout (as the manual suggests).
>>
>> Recently (yesterday I believe) the database format was changed and
>> Berkeley DB was ditched. I believe that might be what you are seeing
>> here. You did nothing wrong. Rebuilding a new ISO with a newer version
>> of Nix should fix it.
>>

> Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.

A minor issue with the manual: The URL given for nixpkgs in the manual
(§1.1.4) is incorrect, it points to the nixos trunk instead of the
nixpkgs trunk. It's easily guessed, but the manual should probably be
corrected nonetheless :).

Anyway, once the build process starts, I immediately get:

   building path(s)
`/home/bardur/nix/store/x8y2fa3m0ly35bpkiky156jjyfdy28hk-curl'
a `i686-linux' is required to build
`/home/bardur/nix/store/sfbhazqrg7c0nys6y1x4c0r253snp18c-curl.drv', but
I am a `x86_64-linux'

Rather than building the x86_64 (which my host is), I would actually
like to build the i686 version of the ISO (it seems my VirtualBox only
supports 32-bit guests). Is such a "cross-compile" possible? Would I
need to force the Nix compile to use 32-bit as well, and how would I go
about doing that? If this isn't possible, any help on how to get the
64-bit ISO build to work would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

--
Bardur Arantsson
<bardurREMOVE at THISscientician.net>

- Ralph used to spit. He could hit a van Gogh at 30 yards.
                             Madge, 'Monty Python's Flying Circus'