[Nix-dev] Re: How to submit nix expressions?

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sat Nov 8 14:46:22 CET 2008

Hello!

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:

> Yes, I noticed. Every now and then I see a patch posted to this list and
> wonder whether I should handle the commit, but then I end up not doing it
> because chances are someone else is doing it at the same time, and then the
> effort would be wasted. It's a tricky situation that could be avoided by
> having an established process, like bug tracker, that makes those
> responsibilities clear.

I concur.  The "everyone commits" model is reaching its limits at times,
e.g., when one commits things and another comments it out right away
because it's not to its taste or because it doesn't work for them.  We
find ourselves either not discussing changes at all, or "discussing"
them via commit logs, which sometimes leads to misunderstandings and
frustrations.

> Anyhow, my impression is that Nix is in a development stage where those kind
> of problems -- end-user problems -- are not perceived as central. The
> consensus seems to be that Nix users should just get an SVN account and
> commit. End-users don't do that, but apparently end-users aren't really the
> target audience yet.

Or, to put it another way, NixOS end-users are all contributors.  ;-)

Actually, when you start using NixOS, "end-user" problems *become*
central because they affect your daily computer use.

Thanks,
Ludo'.