[Nix-dev] Nix Presentation at Syd-FP [Off-Topic]

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Mon Nov 17 11:07:25 CET 2008

Hi Jeeva,

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 02:23:26PM +1100, Jeevakan Suresh wrote:
> burnt. At the same time however they wouldn't consider switching to nix
> just yet as they felt it wasn't mature enough to warrant the time
> investment.

That is the reality for end-users (one reason few are weaned off
Microsoft Windows). However, for system administrators and developers
it is a different case. Those two groups can afford an investment when
they know it pays in the longer term. System administrators are good
for Nix, as they can help maintain and test packages.  Developers are
good, as they can improve their specific packages and the development
environment. If a major packager (read 'developer'), like Ubuntu,
would opt for Nix it would be extremely useful.  End-users, at this
stage, are maybe not so useful, except for testing. I think we
don't have the structure to support and help end-users.

If it were to integrate Nix with Debian packages (or Fedora), we would
easily popularize it. Unfortunately, as we know, that is impossible
other than Debian adopting Nix.

I am happy with my hybrid system of both package managers, but I think
it will be almost impossible to popularize Nix with end-users. The
three routes available are:

1. Get NixOS to the level Debian is and popularize it

2. Integrate Nix with Debian (or similar) - the hybrid option
improved

3. Have Debian use Nix

(1) is hard, a lot of work, and still suffers from end-user
'investment'. (2) is probably impossible to do well
and (3) is political.

So, ruling out (3) until we hear different, and (1) as it is too hard,
it leaves (2).

Maybe if we were to change Debian tools to support Nix packages we
could invite (3) at some point. How about providing a front-end for
standard Debian tools (or Fedora, whatever) where we add a --nix
option. I.e.

apt-get --nix update
  updating Nix database
apt-cache pkgnames vim
  vim
	vim (nix)
	vim-python
	vim-full (nix)
	(...)

apt-get --nix install vim-full

That would lower the threshold of use significantly.

Pj.