[Nix-dev] Problems building installation CD on Debian etch x86_64

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Nov 19 14:37:53 CET 2008

> However, Nix can download a pre-built binary from the Nixpkgs channel if you're
> subscribed to it.  Then it will just download the binary instead of trying to
> build it.  Are you subscribed to the Nixpkgs channel?  (I.e. "nix-channel --add
> http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/channels/nixpkgs-unstable; nix-channel --update").

Which does no longer work if you have small modifications ..
The alternative is setting up dstributed building so that your x64
machine can ask a i686 machine to do exactly those missing build jobs.

There are some system options and can read more about it here:
http://nixos.org/releases/nix/unstable/manual/#sec-distributed-builds

I've been using the distirubted build setup for quite a while now.

Sincerly
Marc