[Nix-dev] Nix 0.12 released

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Nov 25 01:18:49 CET 2008

Hi,

Eelco Dolstra wrote:

> I'm pleased to announce the availability of a new stable release of the
> Nix package manager.  Release 0.12 can be found at
>
>   http://nixos.org/releases/nix/nix-0.12/
>
> *** Release notes ***
>
> The release notes can also be found at
> http://nixos.org/releases/nix/nix-0.12/release-notes.

A quick addendum to the release notes:

Nix now by default installs into /usr/local, as the INSTALL file promised all
these years.  (That's the Autoconf default.)  It will still use /nix/store and
/nix/var for the store and the metadata unless you explicitly override those
locations.  This means that if you're installing over an old installation, you
should make sure to get rid of /nix/bin (or at least remove it from $PATH).

Also, the Nix RPMs now go into /usr, with the configuration file in /etc.  This
means that you no longer need to add /nix/bin to your path.  Also, on most
distributions, it means that /etc/profile.d/nix.sh will be included in your bash
profile automatically, so Nix should work "out of the box" after installing the RPM.