[Nix-dev] Re: Broken package

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Oct 5 23:49:18 CEST 2008

Hi Michael,

 >> I'd rather have you E-mail me directly in a case like this one, or
 >> just note it on the mailing list a package is broken.
 >
 > [The broken package] actually killed [the] instantiate phase. So the
 > only way to make buildfarm build what it should [...] was to comment
 > out the package.

the NixOS community is sufficiently small to function nicely without
elaborate formal procedures. If a broken package blocks some other
objective, like the build farm, then I'm all for swift action to remedy
the immediate problem, i.e. commenting out the offending expression. SVN
makes it easy for other people to revoke that patch and to commit a real
fix to the problem later on.

Anyhow, personally, I don't review every other commit and I don't read
every other commit message. If this kind of situation would arise
concerning a package that I feel responsible for, then I'd probably miss
the fact that "my" package is broken (or disabled) SVN trunk.

Thus, I second Pjotr's request. If someone detects a broken package,
it's fine to disable it, but please *also* post a short message to this
mailing list to make sure that others are aware of the situation. It's
an extra effort for the person who detects the problem, but that extra
effort is likely to pay off because those who understand the package
best are involved in the proceedings and have a chance to contribute
their knowledge.

Just my 0,02 Euros.

Peter