[Nix-dev] RHEL5 Issues re-visited.

Pjotr Prins pjotr2008 at thebird.nl
Tue Oct 7 09:15:16 CEST 2008

I think we need to include any major Linux version out in the open.

One of the strengths of Nix is that it runs on any platform. The
purists may not agree, but it is a real selling point - and one of the
major reasons I am involved now (which includes mistakes, heh). Some
essential packages build against kernelHeaders, and so do people
developing new software. One way is to contain all 'common'
kernelHeaders, including RHEL5, in all-packages.nix. But perhap we
could have a all-kernel-headers.nix package to support the flavours. I
am very happy with that config.nix extension, btw. Thanks Eelco.

The appropriate kernel headers are required to prevent subtle
stability problems.

Pj.