[Nix-dev] Xorg will not start

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Oct 9 23:57:32 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:26:33PM -0500, Søren Renner wrote:
>    message: "cannot load module pcidata"
>
>    libpcidata.a and libpcidata.so do in fact exist
>
>    just did a nixos-rebuild test and nixos rebuild boot
>
>    xorgconfig
>
>    edited xorg.conf by uncommenting font path, module path
>
>    nvidia geforce card
> ImportError: No module named hooks

Sorry, I should have suggested this earlier:
Maybe try different kernel ?
You choose it by the kernelPackages = pkgs.kernelPackages_2_6_{23,25,26}
option, 25 beeing the default.
I've had truoble compiling 26 on my system. I haven't had more time to
investigate why. Maybe just try them all and see wether this does change
something? (Sorry, my knowledge ends here)

Another thing you can try is having a look at the /etc/jobs/**xorg* job
file. Maybe you can copy the start command line and play around
manually/

The onnly google match I've found was about a Mandrake system.
Advice: reinstall the package.. :-(

Sorry that I can't give more help right now
Marc