[Nix-dev] Re: RHEL5 Issues re-visited.

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Oct 10 02:45:01 CEST 2008

Hi Jeevakan,

 > My hunch is our kernels are subtly different. My experience is the
 > headers and kernel must match *exactly*.

I don't have access to those machines right now, but it's quite possible
that I've been using a subtly different kernel version than the one
you've been using.

The situation appears to be quite unsatisfactory. It's impossible for me
to ensure that the version of the running kernel matches the version of
the kernel headers used to compile Nix. I need an installation that
lives on a network drive and is supposed to run unmodified on 50+ Linux
machines. Those machines differ subtly; that's exactly why I want a
self-contained installation like Nix that doesn't care about the
underlying host OS. If I'd have to re-build my Nix store on every
machine, then Nix would be quite a lot less useful for me than it is
now.

Personally, I feel that sticking to glibc 2.5 and coreutils 6.11 is the
way to go because that works just fine. However, my requirements
probably differ from those other people might have. It feels like there
is no silver bullet for RHEL5.

Take care,
Peter