[Nix-dev] Kernel mods

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Oct 13 13:17:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 12:23:20AM -0500, James Bowery wrote:
>    'd like to try out some changes in the Nixos kernel. I've done a svn
>    checkout of the nix repository but it isn't clear how one makes kernel
>    changes and rebuilds an ISO image from it.
> ImportError: No module named hooks

Have a look at the nixos documentation (some parts may be out of date)
http://nixos.org/releases/nixos/unstable/manual/ (4.2 testing the installer)

About the modifying the kernel:
You have to know that there are serveral _nix_ repos:
1) nix (the nix-* tools)
2) nixos (the .nix files describing the the bootable system)
3) nixpkgs (the .nix files telling nix how to build all packages (apps and libs))
So I'm not sure you've been aware about that, now you are.

To get to know the kernel and stuff you have to look at 2) and 3).
3) contains fetching the source and building the kernel, I guess (I'm
not sure here) 2) contains code to glues all modules together so that the
kernel can find them.

If you have trouble with building the iso etc you may also ask on irc
(niksnut or MichaelRaskin, I think they both have done a lot of work
there)

Marc