[Nix-dev] Re: Porting NixOS

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Fri Oct 17 23:59:44 CEST 2008

Marc Weber wrote:
>> Hmm, why would you want to mark software like that? For example, if I as
>> a user want to install Skype, I just want to have it installed. What use
>> is it for me if the system first says: "Sorry, Dave, can't do that. You
>> first need to sign with your blood that you are not a true open source
>> extremist"?
> Hi Arie,
> what about a setting allow_non_free_packages=true; in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix ?

not sufficient for me; I like the *consciousness* aspect.
So I'm currently running my Linux system with MadWiFi, which
is non-free, but I don't wish to allow other non-free
packages (unless, again, I explicitly do allow them).  And
some non-free-ness is worse than others (e.g. unlimited
redistribution but no modification; or somehow
"noncommercial" which I don't understand but interpret as
not to worry about if you're doing things small-scale enough
that no one will care to sue you; or the Vista EULA, which
is so bad that it's possibly illegal/unenforcible).  Maybe
what we need is a *function* of what packages to allow
(allow_packages = (function from package-metadata to
boolean))...

-Isaac