[Nix-dev] Building Nix on Mac OS X Leopard (esp. libtoolize)

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Oct 20 01:26:42 CEST 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:24:42PM +0200, Sean Leather wrote:
>    I just went through the paces of building Nix from the repository sources
>    on Mac OS X [1]10.5.5. The most important hiccup that I found was that
>    "libtoolize" has become "glibtoolize"; so, I needed to modify
>    "bootstrap.sh".
>
>    This is relatively minor, but easy for someone to miss. Perhaps it should
>    be documented somewhere? Or, even better, "bootstrap.sh" could handle the
>    difference with a check for the appropriate file.
>
>    Other than the above issue, I received the following error after running
>    "make". Note that the error comes from the line starting with "LANG=...".
>    I just include the proceeding lines for context.
>
>    /usr/bin/xsltproc  --param section.autolabel 1 --param
>    section.label.includes.component.label 1 --param html.stylesheet
>    \'style.css\' --param xref.with.number.and.title 1 --param
>    toc.section.depth 3 --param admon.style \'\' --param
>    callout.graphics.extension \'.gif\' --nonet --xinclude quote-literals.xsl
>    release-notes.xml | \
>              /usr/bin/xsltproc  --param section.autolabel 1 --param
>    section.label.includes.component.label 1 --param html.stylesheet
>    \'style.css\' --param xref.with.number.and.title 1 --param
>    toc.section.depth 3 --param admon.style \'\' --param
>    callout.graphics.extension \'.gif\' --nonet --output NEWS.txt.tmp.html
>    --stringparam generate.toc "article nop" --stringparam
>    section.autolabel.max.depth 0 --stringparam header.rule 0 \
>
>    /Users/leather/Projects/nix/nix/externals/docbook-xsl-1.74.0/html/docbook.xsl
>    -
>    Note: namesp. cut : stripped namespace before processing           Nix
>    Release Notes
>    WARNING: cannot add @xml:base to node set root element.  Relative paths
>    may not work.
>    Note: namesp. cut : processing stripped document                   Nix
>    Release Notes
>    LANG=en_US false -dump NEWS.txt.tmp.html > NEWS.txt
>    make[3]: *** [NEWS.txt] Error 1
>    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>    make: *** [all] Error 2
>
>    I'm not sure why "/usr/bin/false" is being called here, but apparently, it
>    doesn't get called on an 2nd run of "make". At that point, it copies an
>    empty file and finishes.
>
>    cp ./doc/manual/NEWS.txt NEWS
>
>    Is this normal or is it an issue specific to the Mac?

/usr/bin/false does sometimes mean that configure could not find the
executable.. So open the Makefile and look for
app_name=/usr/bin/false where app_name can be an arbitrary name.

When it fails on generating the documentation you can install.
Everything has compiled then. You can read the docs online as well.

if which libtoolize; then
        libtoolize
else
        glibtoolize # Mac
fi

or such?

"libtoolize" has become "glibtoolize"; so, I needed to modify
>    "bootstrap.sh".

Marc