[Nix-dev] octave and atlas, tuning for performance, which is the nix way here?

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 23:05:33 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 22:19, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Maybe a more naive solution would suffice?
>
> sdtenv.mkDerivation {
>        forceBuild = getConfig [ "atlas" "forceBuild"] false;
> }
>
> which you can set to true in your config which will always be false on the
> buildfarm?

I prefer this way and I would have say something like
"useDistributedBuild" with configuration inheritance:

{
  useDistributedBuild = false;
  openoffice = {
    useDistributedBuild = true;
  };
}

There is still an issue in this example because if you are optimizing
a program used by openoffice, your distributed build will not be able
to use your optimized programs due to different dependency hashes.
The same problem arises with programs which have Atlas as a
dependency.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron