[Nix-dev] octave and atlas, tuning for performance, which is the nix way here?

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Wed Oct 22 22:10:11 CEST 2008

Marc Weber wrote:
>> There is still an issue in this example because if you are optimizing
>> a program used by openoffice, your distributed build will not be able
>> to use your optimized programs due to different dependency hashes.
>> The same problem arises with programs which have Atlas as a
>> dependency.
>
> Sure if oo depends on atlas.. then have some cups of tea till oo will be
> built.. You'll never get binaries then.

what if we use the concept of dynamically-linked libraries
in a well-contained way?  Say that everyone *compiles*
against some standard version of atlas, say, to get a
standard openoffice; but then you can get a modified
combination that consists of the standard openoffice
modified to access the re-compiled version of atlas at
runtime.  (I don't know how practical that is to implement,
but it seems something like that "ought to" work...)

-Isaac