[Nix-dev] nix expression for fdupes - reviewed and comitted

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Oct 28 12:59:24 CET 2008

Hi Marco!

You're welcome.
I've comitted your expression after slightly modifying it.
You've done some work which can already be done by the default builder.

Have a look at nixpkgs/pkgs/stdenv/generic/setup-new.sh
This builder script is used most often and that's the one beeing
sourced by source $stdenv/setup.
It runs a lot of phases by default. The important of them beeing unpackPhase,
buildPhase and installPhase which do already pretty much what you want.
The do some stuff more. Eg they are called within a nesting block which
automatically stores the env vars on disk in case of failure for
debugging etc.

I think you've missed a small detail:
cp fdupes.1 $(MANPAGEDIR)/man1
wants to copy fdupes.1 into the man1 directory. So you have to create
man1 that cp does the right thing. only creating $out/man resulted in a
file $out/man/man1 (and many other packages providing a directory $out/man/man1)
The envirnoment handler was not able to handle this situation (I can't
think of how to handle this either :)

Thanks for the contribution.
Check out from SVN to have a look at my small cosmetic changes.

Sincerly
Marc Weber