[Nix-dev] Re: xorgReplacements broke in nix-0.12pre12474

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Oct 29 09:41:32 CET 2008

Hi,

"Jeevakan Suresh"
<Jeevakan.Suresh at macquarie.com> writes:

> I just did an svn update, and when I try to install anything - I get the
> following error.
>
> error: while evaluating the function at
> `/home/isdtc/jsuresh/.nix-defexpr/channels/channel/nixexpr/pkgs/lib/defa
> ult.nix', line 42:
> while evaluating the attribute `<let-body>' at
> `/home/isdtc/jsuresh/.nix-defexpr/channels/channel/nixexpr/pkgs/lib/defa
> ult.nix', line 43:
> syntax error, unexpected '.', expecting '}', at
> `/home/isdtc/jsuresh/.nix-defexpr/channels/channel/nixexpr/pkgs/servers/
> x11/xorg/replacements.nix':1:76
>
> I got rid of the compile errors by commenting out the '...' on line 1
> and 3 in replacements.nix - I'm currently running nix-0.12pre12474 - I'm
> guessing this is a new language feature?

As Michael suggested, that `...' is a new feature of the Nix language,
not supported by the version of Nix currently installed on your system.
Thus, you should first install a newer version of Nix, which you should
be able to do like this:

  $ sudo nix-env -Ai nixUnstable

(`sudo' is needed here so that the new Nix is installed in the `default'
profile, not in your user profile.)

After that, you should be able to install Xorg.

Hope this helps,
Ludovic.