[Nix-dev] Re: Boost libraries

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 12:13:30 CEST 2009

2009/4/8 Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to>:
> Hi Lluís,
>
>  > If you want to build a derivation with the derivation of an older
>  > boost, you should write an expression for that, maybe in ~/.nixpkgs.
>
> that approach is not particularly satisfying. Free software ought to be
> shared. When you write a Nix expression that's useful to you, chances are
> that it will be useful to others, too. Keeping that expression to yourself
> means that others will have to re-invent the wheel.
I thought you talked on the supposition of your own development
environment, not about public packages that may need an older boost.
For publishable expressions I agree with you.
Concerning the nix expressions I use for development at my work place,
I don't expect them to be much useful to other people... I'd say I can
even publish them, as I use them for internal development in the
company I work for.
Now I'm going with the boost expression in nix... but if I want to
keep the development environment I used to build a specific version of
the software we do, I have to use an old copy of nixpkgs, or something
like that. Maybe some expressions copied in ~/.nixpkgs will do the
trick.

Best regards,
Lluís