[Nix-dev] Hi nix developers!

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 9 15:12:35 CEST 2009

2009/4/8 Nicolas Pierron <nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com>:
> Hi Tony,
>
> I am forwarding your questions to the mailing list because other may
> give you better answer for your problem.   By the way I recommend you
> to use "Reply to All" instead of "Reply" which could only give you
> better feedback from all users instead of only me ;)
>

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 02:28, Tony White <tonywhite100 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/4/5 Nicolas Pierron <nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com>:
>>> Hi Tony,

>>> If it really works, I don't understand why when you remove it, it no
>>> longer works.  The default unpackPhase does the same thing and ensure
>>> sanity of the nix store.  So you should investigate if there is a
>>> sanity issue inside your nix store.

>>> Here you have two syntaxes:
>>>
>>> "-A": is used to call build an attribute.  If this is a derivation,
>>> then the derivation will be built.
>>> "-i": is used to install a package by its name.
>>>
>>> somewhere in nixpkgs:
>>>
>>> {stdenv, fetchurl}:
>>>
>>> stdenv.mkDerivation {
>>>  name = "foo";
>>>  src = ...;
>>> }
>>>
>>> in allpackages.nix:
>>>
>>> bar = (import the/location) { inherit stdenv fetchurl; };
>>>

>>> Then you can install this package by either calling it by its name or
>>> its attribute name:
>>>
>>> 1/ nix-env -Ai nixpkgs_sys.bar
>>> 2/ nix-env -i foo
>>>
>>> nixpkgs_sys is the name of the symbolic link contained inside
>>> ~/.nix-defexpr/ which is a link to all-packages.nix.

>>> No, this syntax is obsolete and will require some copy&paste to make
>>> it works.  The udev.addFirmware does the same job.

>>> --->

>>> <---
>>>
>>> You don't need those, they are automatically added if you use extraKernelParams.

>>> I don't know about these but this seems to me to be a lot of pain to
>>> maintain.  Have you checks that they are not already as module inside
>>> the kernel?

>>> Why don't you keep the default kernel modules?

>>> You should move this inside the boot section.

>>> These flags are now obsolete, you will be removed in futur version of
>>> NixOS.  In time, I will post a message on this mailing list to explain
>>> how you should proceed.  So don't worry if you get obsolete messages
>>> when running nixos-rebuild.

>>> I wasn't aware of that.

>>> A folder containing the firmware files is similar to what you get with
>>> the Intel2200 firmware, So I guess this is the right thing.
>>> Unfortunately I am not an expert in Kernel & firmware issues but I
>>> think the following link can help a bit:
>>>
>>> http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/#issues
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nicolas Pierron
>>> http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron
>>> - If you are doing something twice then you should try to do it once.
>>>

>> Hi Nicolas,
>> Thanks to your assistance and some persistence I was able to first get
> [...]

Thanks Nicolas,
I'll reply to all in future, Thanks for pointing that out. I'm just
getting used to the filter I've setup in gmail, So I've obviously
thought that the filter would be taking care of that for me but it
isn't.

I compiled kde 4.2.2 last night, I just added it to configuration.nix.
I found options.nix that has some very big clues on how I need build
an expression for this box, So far, I've got most of it worked out.
The adding of the xorg.conf is going to take an afternoon though, I've
got a touchpad, A usb mouse, and two displays with dual head. I'll
just try and copy the settings from my copy of Mandriva's xorg into
the configuration.nix expression.

Thanks for the help so far, I'm slowly getting the hang of how NixOS
is configured and I'll admit that the more I discover and learn about
it, The more I'm impressed by exactly what I'm seeing as output.

Thanks again,

Tony