[Nix-dev] Re: Boost libraries

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 16:34:02 CEST 2009

2009/4/10 Nicolas Pierron <nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com>:
> On the other hand we really want to remove duplicated packages.  We
> don't have enough feedback yet to decide if this step can be
> automatically computed.  An idea could be to report duplicated
> dependencies coming from a derivation (by looking at name prefixes).
> Reporting duplicated dependencies (in addition to the graph
> exportation) is enough for any user to track back the options which
> need to be activated to reduce the number of duplicated packages.
> Moreover this could be helpful to avoid unwilling dependencies.
>
> In future version, we can imagine to report the minimal set of option
> required to reduce the memory foot-print.

I also like ways of getting such reports. Now there can be made some
tricks with the output of nix-store queries, am I right?

Regarding these optimization problems we are dealing with... I'd like
to note that I liked 'nix' a lot because I wanted to get all away from
the "dynamic libraries mess". Before knowing 'nix', all I could desire
was a linux distribution with all binaries statically compiled. So
imagine how much I don't care about the increased memory or hd usage,
if I never again have to take care of dynamic libraries problems. Of
course 'nix' looked to me like a much better approach (and easier)
than having a distro with all binaries statically compiled. Its great
nix-store allows a lot of control on what's on the store, IMO.

Regards,
Lluís.