[Nix-dev] Re: Latest X.org

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:07:16 CEST 2009

2009/4/14 Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>:
> Lluís Batlle wrote:

>>> It's basically only for changes to the stdenv (like upgrading Glibc and GCC),
>>> but I put the X.org upgrade in there as well to reduce the impact on the trunk
>>
>> Ah, then you already upgraded x.org there? So there's nothing I should
>> do.
>
> I did this a few months ago, so it's probably not up to date anymore.  Among
> other things it only has xorg-server 1.5.1.  (BTW, 1.6.0 is out, did you look at
> that?)
>
> --
> Eelco Dolstra | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/

I've been following cooker (Mandriva development) With their
implementation of xserver 1.6.0 and I think it might be worth staying
away from 2.6.29.x and using that version of the server for now. I
think 2.6.28.9 Is OK but nearly all the testers are reporting that
they've seen regression. No 3d acceleration for many cards, NVidia,
ATI & Intel and some cards just not starting because of bugs in the
drivers.
Other issues include several problems with proprietary drivers. I
think most NVidia cards now work with bleeding edge drivers but 3d
acceleration in some is still bad.
ATI have dropped support for many older cards with their newest
proprietary driver release, So no 3d support for those users.
The intel xorg driver doesn't do 3d acceleration very well either for
many, even with a bleeding edge snapshot of the driver.
This is all with the 2.6.29.x kernels. I'm not 100% sure but the
2.6.28.9 kernel doesn't seem to produce the problems. It probably
depends on which card.

Just a bit of feedback to allow for a bit of caution.

It looks like Mandriva will be releasing their 2009.1 release with all
these problems because the developers can't regress anything back
because of the amount of work involved and they've already announced
2.6.29.x and xorg server 1.6.0 as default features of the release.
So lots of users might end up downloading a new coaster.

I know all of that's not entirely on topic but maybe slightly relevant
if you guys do go for that version of the x server.
Hopefully it's a warning before anyone compiles it and starts chasing
know issues. I'm sure you guys have better things to do.

Hopefully a word of caution that is at least partially useful,

Tony