[Nix-dev] aufs & kernel 2.6.28.9

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 14 17:11:21 CEST 2009

Hi,

Tony White wrote:

> I trying to build a rescue cd with 2.6.28.9 so that I can try to make
> ext4fs

Ah good, it would be nice to update to 2.6.28 :-)

> So I can see it's an aufs problem, I'm guessing it could do with a
> newer version. However I goto download :
>
> http://nixos.org/tarballs/aufs-20080508.tar.bz2
>
> To inspect the archive layout and it's a different to the layout to :
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=167503&filename=aufs2-base5.tar.bz2
>
> Which is the latest current stable version, So my questions are :
>
> Is aufs absolutely a requirement of the rescue cd? I know I can
> disable it to save time but is it worth it?

Yes, it's required.  AUFS is used to provide a writable root file system.  The
CD won't boot without it.

> Is editing the expression to use the sourceforge archive the correct
> method of resolution?
> Is the aufs-20080508.tar.bz2 the same thing, Just a slightly different?

aufs-20080508.tar.bz2 is an export of the AUFS CVS repository.  Also, it's for
aufs1 - aufs2 is the next generation implementation.  I don't know how stable
aufs2 is.

We currently build aufs1 as a external module.  However, the aufs2 release
(aufs2-base5) only contains a patch to the kernel source tree, and apparently
doesn't support building as an external module (according to
http://aufs.sourceforge.net/README.aufs2).  So we would have to build one
aufs-utils package, and the module itself as a kernel patch.