[Nix-dev] nix profiles and env vars - proposal

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Apr 18 15:22:14 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 02:57:59PM +0200, Lluís Batlle wrote:
> I think the solution proposed by Marc could solve some of the problems I
.. Let's don't forget about other shells such as zsh.
Eg I could imagine having another post install script assemble pieces to
a final "bash-setup-all-source-me" script.

Example (A,B,C = store paths of packages)

$A/nix-supoort/env  # eg adding a python lib to PYTHONPATH
$B/etc/bash_completion.d/app1 # providing bash completion
$B/etc/bash_completion.d/app2 # providing bash completion

$B/etc/zsh_completion.d/app1 # providing zsh completion
$B/etc/zsh_completion.d/app2 # providing zsh completion

a post insntallation script could now concatenate those files into

~/.nix-profile/bash-setup-all-source-me # setting up bash completion and env (Maybe even the /etc/bashrc could be
~/.nix-profile/zsh-setup-all-source-me # setting up zsh completion and env

And if you don't like it you can write your own script assembling things
the way you want.

Marc Weber