[Nix-dev] libical in trunk broken

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 19 21:14:38 CEST 2009

Hi all,
I managed to get round to trying to get my build machine up this
weekend and found an issue in trunk with libical that blocks kde 4
compilation.

The error was : stdout is not a bzip file
(Or something similar.)

libical is an extra feature used to compile kdepimlibs with kde 4 srcs
so nixos-rebuild switch was bailing out because of the error.

Solution was as follows :

/etc/nixos/nixpkgs/pkgs/development/libraries/libical/default.nix containing :

{stdenv, fetchurl, perl}:

stdenv.mkDerivation {
  name = "libical-0.43";
 builder = ./builder.sh;
  src = fetchurl {
    url = http://superb-east.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/freeassociation/libical-0.43.tar.gz;
    md5 = "5f0a1feb60894d0be537aefea5647474";
  };
  buildInputs = [ perl ];
}

/etc/nixos/nixpkgs/pkgs/development/libraries/libical/builder.sh containing :

# Two things to note about this src archive :
# shared libraries are not the default configure option so they are
specified with
# --enable-shared
# Also if the archive is an svn checkout instead of a release then
# there will be no configure file until you create one with the
"bootstrap" script
# this builder doesn't accommodate an svn checkout, it's just for
regular releases

source $stdenv/setup

PATH=$perl/bin:$PATH

tar xvfz $src
cd libical-*
./configure --prefix=$out --enable-shared
make
make install

Those modifications allowed kdepimlibs to compile here and I hope this
helps someone fix this. :)

Kind regards,

Tony