[Nix-dev] Problem booting the new nixos kernel

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 17:38:51 CEST 2009

2009/4/30 Marco Maggesi <maggesi at math.unifi.it>:

> Thank you Lluís and Tony for yours suggestions.
>

> On Apr 29, 2009, at 11:13 PM, Tony White wrote:
>
>>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> if it's not in there already, try adding something like this to your
>> xserver config in configuration.nix along with your existing settings
>> :
>

> Sorry, I didn't mention that, but my favorite resolution is already
> specified in the configuration.nix (and it worked fine so far).  My
> xserver configuration is as follows:
>
>    xserver = {
>      enable = true;
>      exportConfiguration = true;
>      videoDriver = "vesa";
>      sessionType = "";
>      windowManager = "none";
>      sessionStarter = "";
>      resolutions =
>        [ { x=1440; y=900; } { x=1152; y=864; } { x=1024; y=768; } { x=800;
> y=600; } ];
>      extraMonitorSettings = ''
>        Modeline "1440x900" 106.5000 1440 1520 1672 1904 900 903 909 934
> +HSync -VSync
>      '';
>    };
>
> I suspect that all my problems are related to this error (found in X.0.log):
> (II) Loader running on linux
> (++) using VT number 7
>

> Fatal server error:
> xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (No such file or directory)
>
> (WW) xf86CloseConsole: KDSETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
> (WW) xf86CloseConsole: VT_GETMODE failed: Bad file descriptor
>
> But I don't understand which file is actually missing.
> In /dev I see all the tty* files as usual.
>
> Marco

Hi Marco,
If you look in /etc/nixos/nixos/system/options.nix you will see something like :

    extraTTYs = mkOption {
      default = [];
      example = [8 9];
      description = "
        Tty (virtual console) devices, in addition to the consoles on
        which mingetty and syslogd run, that must be initialised.
        Only useful if you have some program that you want to run on
        some fixed console.  For example, the NixOS installation CD
        opens the manual in a web browser on console 7, so it sets
      ";
    };

You can use that data to create an entry in configuration.nix that
starts tty7 every
time you boot.
I guess that could work but you'll need to test.

Hope that works,

Tony