[Nix-dev] trace: Str("Obsolete notation.",[])

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 23:51:37 CEST 2009

Hi Marco,

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 18:43, Marco Maggesi <maggesi at math.unifi.it> wrote:
> Each time I run nix-env I get the following warning:
>
>  trace: Str("Obsolete notation.",[])
>
> But, I can't find anything suspicious in my configuration.nix
> and I have no idea how to debug this.
> Suggestions?
>
> (I don't think that this could be related with my other problem
> with xserver, but anyway...)

I have introduced this message because firmware options and function
options are respectively not modular and not well documented (no good
example & default value).

- If you are using some specific firmware for your network card, then
you will have to replace it by the following lines in the futur:

{
  # this is what you should add in your configuration.nix
  require = [
    (import ./path/to/firmware/name.nix)
  ];

  boot = {
  };

}

Some firmware are already converted inside
https://svn.nixos.org/repos/nix/configurations/trunk/hardware/network/
, This is not documented (in the trunk) yet but the goal is to avoid
modifications inside NixOS to keep it simple and modular.

- If you are using some function options like extraPackages with a
"pkgs" argument following the equal symbol, then I recommend you to
put:

{pkgs, ...}:

at the top of your configuration file and remove all pkgs arguments.
This modification allow us to document the default value inside the
generated manual.  In addition, This may help to implements a GUI for
writing NixOS modules.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron