[Nix-dev] Howto resolving dependencies automatically but much faster ?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Dec 14 01:48:49 CET 2009

Hi.

I posted earlier about hack-nix.
It's an attempt to read package description from hackage then resolving
dependencies automatically and finally creating nix derivations on the
fly. It works reasonable fast unless you allow many different versions.

Them memory consumption raises > 4GB and .. all you can do is hitting
ctrl-c.

Maybe there are many optimisations which can be applied.
However I feel that nix is the wrong language to write such a tool.

So how do you think about extending nix so that you can use arbitrary
languages to implement builtin functions?

Adding haskell specific code to nix itself is not the way to go, is it?

So do you think we can extend nix so that it loads additional plugins
(.so files) which provide these features?

Or how would you try to enhance speed for specific tasks ?

Probably I don't have time to implement it but I'd like to know how you
think about it.

Marc Weber